* * * I have permission from the "Belleville Times" (color) newspaper to copy word for word on my web page. The article you are about to read is from July 8, 2000 by editor Richard Dickon in "Best of Belleville." It is on page 6. The article has been modified a bit.
* * * Mike raised $2,390.00 total.
'Big Mike' goes wet and wild for MS tour
* "Big Mike" Dowd recently completed what he called a "Wet and Wild" Multiple Sclerosis Coast the Coast 170-mile bike tour in Sandy Hook, once again breaking his own record for fund-raising to help battle the dreaded disease.
* As of May 22, he had raised $2,240.00 in pledges.
* The 30-year-old cycler is a member of Boy Scout Troop #364, an Internet DJ on www.futurenowradio.com and editor/cameraman for WBHS-34.
* Riding his black/red tint Cannondale T-700, Mike is riding thanks to what he calls his "bunch of caring people."
* This past May 20 - 21, the wet weather down the shore caused "fish-tailing," wet sneakers and the occasional splash by driver, made for a wet and wild weekend.
* Also, it made for cold, as in 45 degrees.
* Mike also was interviewed by local weatherwoman and WNBC-4 television.
* He also bumped into Silver Lake's Bob McVough, who rode the 50-mile course.
* Anyone wishing to join the bike tour or become a volunteer in the Mid-Jersey Chapter, give a call at (732) 643-0010. Pledges are still being accepted at the Belleville Times at 667-2100.